Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2019!
On behalf of The City of Calgary, Community Standards and Waste & Recycling Services, I would like to say THANK YOU for an amazing year of Community Cleanups in WARD 4.
We collected a total of 1.4 million kg in total with 1.3 million kg of waste and organics this year. 87,755 kg was from your ward. Included below is a summary of community cleanup activity that occurred in your ward by community name.
Lastly, the 2020 community cleanup season is just around the corner, many of your Community Associations will be receiving communication in the next day or so with information on when and where to register.
- Registration applications will be accepted through 311 (on-line) available through an online link at www.calgary.ca/cleanupbeginning Thursday, January 2 through to Tuesday, January 31, 2020.
- The Community Cleanups are extremely popular and we have new communities wanting events every year. We ask that you fill out the registration application as complete as possible. Communities that fail to provide enough detail will result in a lower evaluation score.
- As part of your application, please also include a draft site plan for us to review
- You will be assigned a Customer Service Request (CSR) number, and that number will have your reference number for the rest of the year.
- Upon final approval of your date, Community Associations must provide marketing and promotional material like BOLD sign information, posters etc. for approval before advertising publicly. Failure to do so may result in a cancellation of a cleanup.
- You can email or call me (403-268-1823) directly if you have any questions or need information.
- Saturdays and Sundays will remain the Community Cleanup days.
- The 2020 schedule:
- Spring Session will begin on the last weekend on April 25-26 and go through to June 27-28
- Fall Session will start up again on September 5-6 and ends on September 26-27
- There are no cleanup dates available in July or August.
- Maximum allotted event times remain 9:00 am – 2:00 pm, and you can open for a shorter period if you prefer.
- Three packer trucks per cleanup.
- Two trucks for regular waste, and one for organic waste (multiple loads if needed).
- If you would like a recycling bin, please let us know, and we will do our best to accommodate
- The 2020 schedule will be posted starting mid-late February online and you will hear about your application status at that time as well.
- A panel and dates review applications will be given in accordance with the information received as well as the information we have from our internal waste and bylaw services.
- Information for event organizers and community association board members will be provided in early Spring so that you have the up-to-date information for planning, including road permits, traffic safety, hazardous materials and landfill information.
- We will host two information sessions for event planners.
- Reminder: Community Associationscannot charge a fee or request membership for the use of the City of Calgary packer trucks as they are provided free of charge by the City of Calgary. Community Associations can manage their costs for additional recycling that they have organized (metal, electronic, car seat, paint etc.) through membership campaigns or fees for services such as the car seat program or a donation fund at the event. Community Associations found charging for City Services will not be eligible to apply for future Community Cleanups.
- Calgary Community Standards is pleased to provide funding up to $300 for any supplies like safety vests, gloves, goggles, advertising (e.g. BOLD signs) and food/refreshments for your volunteers. The reimbursement form is attached to the registration form and will be emailed to you after your online submission. Keep your receipts and send them along with the reimbursement form. The deadline will be November 15, 2020.
Further information on the media event, information sessions, and marketing through your web pages and social media will be sent out to the 2020 Community Cleanup event organizers after the event date is confirmed.
Please feel free to forward this email to anyone else involved in the 2020 registration process, especially for those recruiting the community volunteers.