Government issued identity documents

  • Alberta Operator’s (Driver’s) License; or
  • Alberta Identification Card; or

Government issued documents

  • Government cheque or cheque stub; or
  • Income/property tax assessment notice; or
  • Statement of government benefits (e.g. employment insurance, old-age security, social assistance, disability support or child tax benefit); or

School, college, or university documents

  • Correspondence issued by a school, college or university; or

Other documents

  • Bank/credit card statement or personal cheque; or
  • Insurance policy or coverage card; or
  • Letter from a public curator, public guardian or public trustee; or
  • Pension Plan statement of benefits, contributions or participation; or
  • Residential lease or mortgage statement; or
  • Utility bill (e.g. telephone, public utilities commission, television, electric, gas or water); or
  • Vehicle ownership, registration or insurance certificate


Changes to the Local Authorities Election Act will now allow provisions for vouching. A voter who has shown valid identification may vouch for a voter who does not have identification if:

  • The person vouching signs a statement/form that they know the person and that the person resides at the address indicated on the statement; and
  • Both voters meet the eligibility requirements to vote.

A voter who has relied on vouching to validate their identity and address cannot vouch for someone else.