The city has announced the winner of the design plan for the Riverwalk West redevelopment. This will continue the work done on the east side of the river in the downtown core, and will now be a part of all the changes coming to the communities on 14 ST SW. For more information on this, and the design plans – click the city link here.
About the project
RiverWalk West presents an opportunity to create a unique identity and continuous public promenade connecting Fort Calgary to the west end of downtown. The redevelopment will continue the work to harmonize flood mitigation, increase stormwater improvements and upgrade the public realm required to support the growing demands for safe recreational and alternative commuter uses.
Recognizing the uniqueness of this pathway system, we took a distinct approach to the design of the new space by initiating a design competition for industry professionals. Design competitions can offer many benefits by encouraging a broad range of innovative solutions, and creativity to a challenging site. The five shortlisted teams participating in the competition were:
- Dub Architects + Hapa Collaborative – Returning to the River
- ground cubed Landscape Architects – Exchange – Realizing RiverWalk West
- Public City Architecture – Raftlands
- space2place landscape architects – Every Step a Story
- W Architecture & Landscape Architecture – Braiding Waters