Skip to main content

The 24th World Petroleum Congress (the Congress) is taking place in Calgary from Sept. 17-21, 2023 at Stampede Park. The event will be an important bridge between the traditional energy sector and a more carbon-neutral industry over the next 25 years. Many important conversations will happen in Calgary to help define realistic, workable paths to a net-
zero future.

As a global strategic and technical gathering, the Congress attracts the biggest names from the energy industry to focus on delivering an accessible, affordable and secure energy transition. It is the official convention of WPC Energy, a London-based international body made up of approximately 60 member countries representing 96 per cent of global oil and gas production and consumption.

The Congress is expected to draw 5,000 delegates from more than 100 countries, more than 500 speakers, 200 media and 15,000 visitors. It is expected to generate an estimated $88 million in local economic impact and will underscore our reputation as an energy transition leader and a destination of choice for world-stage events. The event is expected to draw large crowds putting Calgary on the global stage; it also has the potential to draw protests and demonstrations. Council allocated a one-time budget of $11.625 million to support the Congress. Approximately 80 per cent of the budget is allocated towards safety and security with the remaining 20 per cent earmarked to support City services such as transit, parking, lane closures and tourism programming to showcase Calgary as a global destination. The City has been working to align services and responsibilities for the Congress through three lead entities working in conjunction with the WPC organizers to ensure a safe and well-organized event:

• Calgary Police Service (CPS)
• Calgary Emergency Management Agency (CEMA)
• Partnerships’ Arts & Culture Division

The Congress is an opportunity to showcase Calgary’s energy transition leadership that includes actions to net-zero and a climate resilient city; The Climate & Environment business unit is leading this storytelling.

Sean Chu

Sean Chu arrived in Calgary from Taiwan in 1985 speaking not a word of English, and within 7 years he was a sworn officer with the Calgary Police Service. From that point on Sean worked with the Calgary Police Service as on Officer for 21 years in a number of roles until 2013.

Leave a Reply

© 2023 Sean Chu. All Rights Reserved.