Skip to main content

The city is changing the process by which Calgarians can apply for a building permit, so click the link here for more information and what the changes might mean to you – if you are needing one. 


Do you need a permit?

Building safety approval (Building permit)

  • Any construction being done, including alterations, relocation, repair or demolition to structural and non-structural walls. If you’re making changes to mechanical, plumbing, gas or electrical work, you may need a building permit and additional trade permits.
  • There’s a change to the business activity resulting in a new building code classification or occupant load (ex. a warehouse changes to a vehicle repair shop). Even if there is no construction planned, you may still need a building permit.
  • When upgrading or installing new mechanical equipment to meet building code (ex. a car detailing business to an engine repair business, using a forklift in a warehouse may require additional ventilation, adding or modifying cooking equipment).
  • You are the first tenant in a new building.
  • Alberta Health Services must review the application. Some examples are restaurants, daycares, pools, hair salons, massage centers, tattoo parlors, and nail salons.

For more information for when a permit is required can be found in the permit regulation. This regulation establishes rules governing building, fire, gas, electrical and plumbing permits.

Sean Chu

Sean Chu arrived in Calgary from Taiwan in 1985 speaking not a word of English, and within 7 years he was a sworn officer with the Calgary Police Service. From that point on Sean worked with the Calgary Police Service as on Officer for 21 years in a number of roles until 2013.

Leave a Reply

© 2023 Sean Chu. All Rights Reserved.