Green Line North LRT Construction
As part of the Green Line LRT project, The City conducted the North Central Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) functional planning study from 2020 to 2021, resulting in recommendations for short-, medium-, and long-term improvements focused on improving current transit service and amenities while preparing for the future Green Line LRT. With Green Line Committee approval of the functional plan received in May 2021, work on the first short-term project – North Pointe Park and Ride Lot improvements – was completed in spring 2022.
Starting in summer 2023, all remaining short-term North Central BRT projects will begin construction along the existing BRT route on Centre Street N., with project areas located between 28 Avenue N.W. to Country Hills Boulevard N.E.
Construction is expected to begin in July 2023 and will be complete by November 2024. Work on medium-term projects are expected to begin in 2024, upon completion of short-term improvements. The Budget is $50 million.
Project website: calgary.ca/northcentralBRT
What kind of construction is coming?
As part of the Green Line LRT Project’s North Central BRT functional planning study (2020-2021), short, medium and long-term improvements were identified to improve current transit service and amenities, while preparing for future growth and infrastructure requirements for the Green Line LRT.
Starting in summer 2023, short-term improvements will begin construction along the North Central BRT (Centre Street MAX) route on Centre Street & Harvest Hills Boulevard N. Project areas will be located between 28 Avenue N.W. to Country Hills Boulevard N.E. and will include:
- New or extended bus-only lanes and queue jumps
- New transit platforms & stations
- Improvements to turning lanes
- Enhancements for pedestrian safety
Upcoming information sessions
- Saturday, April 22, 2023: Drop in anytime from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. Location: Vivo for Healthier Generations – Blue gym (11950 Country Village Link N.E.) No registration required
- Wednesday, April 26, 2023: Drop in anytime from 5 – 8 p.m. Location: Highland Park Community Association – North Hall (3716 2 St N.W.) No registration required
- Thursday, April 27, 2023: Drop in anytime from 5 – 7 p.m. Virtual session
Drop in to connect with the team and learn more about project plans and upcoming construction. Representatives from the Green Line LRT project and Calgary Transit will also be available to answer questions.
If you have any questions not answered on the webpage, please reach out to the project team at northcentralBRT@calgary.ca.