With the mild winter we have been having likely coming to end, there will be a need for shelter for those that are facing homelessness. Below is some basic information, but also there a sheet provided by the Calgary Homeless Foundation and is worth keeping just in case you need it or know somebody who see someone in distress.
- If you see someone who needs help you can call the HELP Team at 403-998-7388.
- If someone is in serious distress or non-responsive, call 911.
- There are daytime warming spaces available (see attachment).
- In addition to the warming spaces, shelter spaces will be available in Calgary 24/7.
- An Emergency Shelter Shuttle Service that transports those who have been sheltering in LRT stations to the Calgary Drop-In Centre or Alpha House runs overnight 7 days a week between 10:30pm and 04:00am.
Encampments and Fire Safety
- A recent fire tragically took the life of three individuals.
- These fires demonstrate why encampments and sleeping rough in the elements are not an acceptable solution or substitute to the lack of available housing that meets the needs of our unhoused community.
- Given the current reality of the situation, The City of Calgary has three Encampment Teams that pair Community Peace Officers with Alpha House HELP Team workers to assist those sleeping rough.
- Part of this work is providing education to individuals on how to stay safe. Please see the attached Fire Safety brochure worked on in partnership with Calgary Fire.